Links to other pages in this section are shown below.
“I dream of a ‘missionary option’, that is a missionary impulse capable of transforming everything, so that the Church’s customs, ways of doing things, times and schedules, language and structures can be suitably channelled for the evangelisation of today’s world rather than for her self-preservation” ‘The Joy of the Gospel’. (Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis, ‘Evangelii Gaudium’. 2013.)
The diocesan guidelines, ‘Called to be a People of Hope’, invite all within the diocese to deepen prayer, enable communion, and strengthen mission. Adult formation within Saint Edmund’s seeks to support our parish community in living out this invitation by nurturing the faith and prayer of those who seek to understand their faith in a deeper, richer way.
Adult formation opportunities in the past have included:.
- A ‘Catholic Faith Exploration’, (CafE), course in the Autumn of 2007.
- A ‘Searchlight’ adult formation course in the Autumn of 2008.
- A series of meetings on the Catholic faith in 2009, with parishioners leading each session.
- A Lent course in 2010 on the theme of ‘The Sacraments’ with parishioners leading each session.
- An Advent course in 2011 based upon the BBC TV series ‘The Nativity’.
- A Lent course in 2012 based upon episodes from the BBC TV series ‘The Passion’.
- A Lent course in 2013 based upon on the Vatican II document ‘Lumen Gentium’, the Dogmatic Constitution of the Church.
- A Lent course in 2014 based upon talks by Father Raniero Cantalamessa, O.F.M. Cap. Preacher to the Papal Household.
- An autumn course in 2014 based upon the Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis ‘The Joy of the Gospel’, (Evangelii Gaudium
- A ‘Catholic Faith Exploration’, (CafE), course ‘The Big Picture’ in the Spring of 2017.
- A ‘Catholic Faith Exploration’, (CafE), course ‘The Joy of Hope’ in the Spring of 2019.
A group of parishioners have taken part in the diocesan Catechists’ Formation Course. Some parishioners have taken part in the diocesan course which had led to the Certificate in Pastoral Liturgy.
Saint Edmund’s supports the process of the ‘Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults’, (RCIA), whereby those expressing an interest in joining the Catholic Church community are welcomed and supported by parishioners in their journey of faith. The Rite offers a process through which Enquirers are helped to find out more about the Catholic faith and our way of life, and to complete a period of formation leading to the reception of the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and the Eucharist.
© 2019 CLIFTON DIOCESE. A Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales under number 10462076. A registered charity number 1170168. Registered Office: St Ambrose North Road Leigh Woods Bristol BS8 3PW