The mahogany wooden statue of Saint Edmund was carved by the sculptor David John and commissioned for the Calne millennium celebrations in September 1955. The statue was purchased by Saint Edmund’s Parish and blessed and installed in the old church building on the Feast of Saint Edmund, 16th November 1955.
David John’s other religious sculptures include:
- Altar, tabernacle and lectern, English College, Rome.
- Sculpture of Madonna and child, Harare Cathedral, Zimbabwe.
- Exterior sculpture Our Lady of Lourdes, Blackpool.
- Stations of the Cross, All Hallows Church, Miskin, Rhondda Cynon Taf.
- Crucifix in wood, Saint Beuno’s College, Denbighshire.
- Sculpture in bronze of Our Lady, Liverpool Catholic Cathedral.
- Sculpture of Our Lady with Christ, Cardiff Cathedral.
- Stations of the Cross, All Hallows Church, Miskin, Rhondda Cyon Taf.
- Sculpture of the Holy Family, Saint Theodore’s Catholic Church, Hampton, Middlesex.
- Sculpture of Saint Boniface, Saint Boniface’s Catholic Church, Southampton.
- Sculpture in bronze of the baptism of Christ, Saint Augustine’s Catholic Church, St. Austell.
- Tabernacle in Blessed Sacrament Chapel, Douai Abbey, Woolhampton.